On February 17, President Obama signed into law the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). Arkansas is projected to receive $2.9 billion in one-time additional federal revenues, as administered by the state, split over 27 months. Funding will aid efforts to rebuild infrastructure and position the state in growing the economy.
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) is intended to:
* Preserve and create jobs to promote economic recovery
* Provide investments in technological advances in science and health
* Invest in transportation, environmental protection, and other long term infrastructure improvements
* Stabilize state and local government budgets
CADC has created this web site to provide transparency by listing how the stimulus package dollars are being spent in CADCís 12 county service area.
Through Public Transportation, CADC will promote safety, security, and quality in the delivery of public and human service transportation. ARRA funding will support the purchase of vehicles and equipment in the11 counties served by CADCís Public Transportation program.
Between April 2009 and March 2012, CADCís Weatherization Assistance Program will weatherize over 1,050 homes for persons whose income is at 200% or less of the federal poverty level.
ARRA funding will allow CADC to invest up to $6,500 in each home for energy efficiency measures, including weather-stripping doors and windows; caulking and sealing cracks and holes; insulating attics, walls, and floors; installing storm windows; retrofitting furnaces; replacing energy-wasting refrigerators and gas hot water heaters; and installing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Households can expect to save up to $400 per year on their home heating and cooling bills as a result of weatherization.
CADCís ARRA Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) work plan is designed to address specific needs and issues identified in CADCís service area. CADC focuses on communities that suffer disproportionately from poverty and employment, housing, transportation, educational and economic stability. CADC plans to focus on asset-based community participation to assist communities in becoming stronger and more self-reliant by discovering, mapping and mobilizing their local assets.
Key components of the ARRA CSGB work plan include job creation, financial education, asset building, free tax preparation, higher education, program outreach and awareness, community participation, community forums, professional development, and partnering with community and faith-based organizations to address issues such as youth crime prevention, male involvement, economic literacy, and to build strong families and communities.
CSBG ARRA activities focus on six goals:
* Goal 1: Low-income people become more self-sufficient.
* Goal 2: The conditions in which low-income people live are improved
* Goal 3: Low-income people own a stake in their community.
* Goal 4: Partnerships among providers of services to low-income people are achieved.
* Goal 5: Agencies increase their capacity to achieve results.
* Goal 6: Low-income people, especially vulnerable populations, achieve their potential by promoting family and other supportive environments.
Stimulus funding will be used to support the home meal delivery program, which provides regular, nutritious meals to homebound elderly and disabled persons.
CADC seeks to alleviate the problem of hunger by expanding the USDA Commodities food program. CADC will provide fresh frozen foods to qualifying low income families. Resources and supplies will be developed to provide these perishable commodities to individuals and families.
CADC has received $13.7 million in funding from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. These stimulus funds will be used to create and sustain economic growth and employment opportunities in 12 counties. Funding is provided from July 1, 2009 thru September 30, 2010 on most programs.
CADC has targeted funding for the following areas:
* $2.9 million for the Public Transportation Program
* $7.5 million for the Weatherization Program
* $3.6 million for the Community Services Block Grant Program
* $1300 for the Nutrition Program
* USDA Commodity Distribution Program
ARRA funding is provided to CADC for disbursement through the programs and services listed. Funding to individuals or businesses is not available under the program.